Sustainability & Environmental Policy
At DeckSafe Solutions Ltd we recognise that our operations can have significant economic, environmental and social impacts. We are committed to assessing sustainability risks and opportunities, and thereafter taking appropriate steps to mitigate negative impacts and enhance positive impacts for the benefit of our business, our stakeholders and the wider environment. This as our Corporate Responsibility (‘CR’) or Corporate Social Responsibility (‘CSR’). The result of operating sustainably is the social value that we create.
DeckSafe Solutions Ltd will implement practices that promote environmental accountability and social responsibility and will strive for continuous improvements in these areas.
To accomplish these objectives, we endeavour to:
- Make sustainability integral to the delivery process in all of our construction projects
- Encourage innovation in sustainable development
- Assessing and addressing our sustainability impacts in relation to six fundamental areas – health and safety, environment, our people, communities, customers and supply chain
- Work with clients to pursue, promote and develop sustainable business solutions
- Promote sustainable practices
- Ensure that our staff are actively involved in the implementation of this policy and in reviewing sustainability performance
In meeting these objectives DeckSafe Solutions Ltd will:
For General Business Activities
- Comply with all current and future legislation
- Consider and evaluate, taking action where necessary, to continuously improve environmental practices
- Review this policy annually
- Provide on-going education and training for all staff on environmental issues relevant to the business
- Support and encourage innovative recommendations and approaches to the implementation of sustainability strategies
- Use resources efficiently to minimise waste and the usage of water, energy and other consumables in the office environment
- Strive to prevent unnecessary pollution within the scope of our business activities
DeckSafe Solutions Ltd operates from a location at Factory Lane, Brantham. The site is located in Manningtree, close to a stream that feeds into the River Stour and consists of approximately 17,275 sq. ft. of property on approximately 1.75 acres of land.
The Company aims to provide quality products and service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and any other stakeholders, whilst minimising our potential impact on the environment. The Company operates in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation; striving to utilise pollution prevention methods and environmental best practices where possible.
Factors with Environmental Concerns:
- GRP waste
- General waste
- Oil storage
- Water management
- Electricity management
- Fuel storage
Things we do to mitigate our environmental impact:
- We have forklifts that are both gas and diesel, rather than just diesel forklifts
- Our vehicles have been fitted with trackers, so that we can monitor the routes and also choose the best route, which reduces pollution
- All of our GRP waste is placed in one large bin, which is then processed by a waste management company
- All of our general waste is placed in one large bin, which is then processed by a waste management company
- All of our operatives travel to site using public transport, which lowers our carbon footprint
- The storage of oil on-site is placed inside a sealed metal container, which is also inside a concrete bung to eliminate any spillages into the environment
- The water meter is read on a monthly basis and any discrepancies are investigated to determine the cause of the extra usage
- All of the lights within the office are on a timer and will automatically switch off after a period of inactivity to reduce usage
- Majority of offcuts are utilised in the production of additional products thus further reducing waste
- Weight advantage of materials, against traditional, means that we can transport bigger volumes and therefore fewer journeys
- Manufacturing product is low in fossil fuel usage as hardening is achieved through a chemical cure process
- The storage of fuel is in a plastic double bunded container which is protected from vehicle movement with a GRP barrier
Who does this apply to?
This assessment applies to every business unit in the group. Fulfilment of the assessment depends upon each member of staff playing their part as appropriate, from the Managing Director to each individual in the business units. All staff are encouraged to report any environmental issues that they come across, so that any issues can be dealt with in a timely manner, thus further reducing any environmental impact.
The Company will:
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner
- Train, educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work
- Reduce waste through re-use and recycling and by purchasing recycled, recyclable or re-furbished products and materials where these alternatives are available, economical and suitable
- Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout our facility including water, electricity, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non-renewable
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored or disposed of
- Purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly
- Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimise the social impact and damage of activities by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities
18th February 2021
For more information:
01206 322 899
Unit 1, Factory Lane, Brantham Suffolk, CO11 1NH
To download a copy of this Policy click here.